nanog mailing list archives

Re: what about 48 bits?

From: Roland Perry <lists () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 22:13:00 +0100

In article <201004071118.o37BIvK1022393 () aurora sol net>, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> writes

Unfortunately, power-cycling crashed PC's is (was?) pretty common, and
many users are (were?) also trained to shut off PC's when done, so here
you've introduced something that is by-design going to fail periodically.

OK, I agree that fitting a PC-powered hub into a client PC isn't the best decision in the world. But losing one segment of a 10Base-T LAN (which was the technology I used) is not the end of the world, and I took the precaution of installing the hub in my server.

Despite these potential operational banana skins, it was still a product that tipped me irrevocably into the world of Ethernet (having earlier toyed with pale imitations).
--
Roland Perry