nanog mailing list archives

RE: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:25:38 -0700

I beg to differ. I know several ISPs that have been quietly putting
quite
a bit of engineering resource behind IPv6. The public announcement
of residential IPv6 trials by Comcast was not the beginning of a
serious
commitment to IPv6 by Comcast, but, rather more towards the middle.
Comcast has had substantial engineering resources on IPv6 for
several years now.

None of my transit providers currently offer native ipv6 where we are
located.  One recent vendor said they could tunnel 6 over 4 but any
network address blocks assigned to that network would change at some
point in the future.  In other words, we could do v6 over 4 now but we
would have to renumber later.

What I heard at a recent (within the past six months) conference was
that "there is no customer demand for v6" so it isn't on the immediate
needs list.  He said they had a lot of inquiries about v6, but to date
not having native v6 wasn't a deal breaker with anyone.

So my instincts tell me that until not being native v6 capable IS a deal
breaker with potential clients, it isn't really going to go on the front
burner.  Many companies operate on the "it isn't a problem until it is a
problem" model.

George