nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:08:00 -0700

On Mar 31, 2010, at 1:53 PM, Michael Holstein wrote:

I checked the documentation for two models (Linux model and highest-end non-Linux model), and there's no mention of
IPv6.

If this is a strictly "hardware" discussion, v6 "works" on a variety of
models, albeit not with stock firmware.
To wit : http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/IPv6

This suggests that Cisco (et.al.) can release an "official" firmware
image to support v6 on existing devices whenever they're sufficiently
motivated to do so. I'd wager the only reason it hasn't been made GA is
to limit the number of "pass-the-buck" support calls that start at $isp
and get bounced back saying "we don't support that yet, call whoever
makes your router".

Not necessarily.  dd-wrt lacks the memory expense of the silly web
interface that Linksys is oh so fond of implementing in their consumer
grade boxen. I suspect that adding features to the Linksys code may
be a bit tighter on image and data space than dd-wrt's "stripped down"
efficiency.

Owen