nanog mailing list archives

Re: what about 48 bits?

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:02:12 -0400

On 4/6/2010 10:39 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
On 05 Apr 2010 12:43, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:29:20 EDT, Jay Nakamura said:

I would have attributed the success of Ethernet to price!

You've got the causality wrong -- it wasn't cheap, way back when.

I remember back in '93~94ish (I think) you could get a off brand 10BT
card for less than $100, as oppose to Token Ring which was $300~400.
I can't remember anything else that was cheaper back then.  If you go
back before that, I don't know.

Steve is talking mid-80s pricing, not mid-90s.  By '93 or so, the fact
that Ethernet was becoming ubiquitous had already forced the price down.

Ah, but what _caused_ Ethernet to become ubiquitous, given the price was
initially comparable?

Early standardization.

The only explanation I can think of is the raft
of cheap NE2000 knock-offs that hit the market in the late 1980s, which
gave Ethernet a major price advantage over Token Ring (the chips for
which all vendors _had_ to buy from IBM at ridiculous cost).

Metcalf didn't make computers, whereas IBM and Datapoint did, protecting their captive markets cost both of them quite dearly.