nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:39:35 -0500

Once upon a time, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se> said:
Windows XP SP2 and later has the concept of different "zones" (or whatever
it's called) where it'll allow things from the local subnet but not from
outside of it, if you tell it so. I know people who configure their
network printers without default gw to handle their spotty security.

That still requires someone to configure a printer, while most just plug
it in and let it DHCP.  Also, I needed to update the firmware on a
network printer once, and it had to have a gateway because it downloaded
the firmware directly.

Heck, I have filled up a 5 port switch in my entertainment center now
with TiVo, Xbox, Blu-Ray, and TV (plus back-haul); all of those use the
Internet and so should have the protection of a firewall at the gateway
(and of course the Xbox requires UPnP for some games).  The TiVo,
Blu-Ray, and possibly TV run Linux, which may be somewhat safer, but
Linux has had (and will have) bugs too.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>