nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP customer assignments

From: Justin Shore <justin () justinshore com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:59:53 -0500

George Michaelson wrote:
As a point of view on this, a member of staff from APNIC was doing a Masters of IT in the last 3-4 years, and had classfull A/B/C addressing taught to her in the networks unit. She found it quite a struggle to convince the lecturer that reality had moved on and they had no idea about CIDR.

I'm ok with teaching it to beginners to explain where we came from but that should be it. It should be made excruciatingly clear in the training that it's no longer done that way because we found a MUCH better way of doing things. That said I still occasionally refer to networks in classful terms and I can think of several network engineers who have years of enterprise experience that still don't understand CIDR.

Justin