nanog mailing list archives

Re: Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

From: Steve Meuse <smeuse () mara org>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:46:15 -0400

joel jaeggli expunged (joelja () bogus com):

ADSL systems will retrain to a lower rate as line conditions (SNR)
change for the worse. The attentuation characteristics of a given pair
will change of time due to a number of factor, including but not
certainly limited to physical wear, moisture invasion, localized source
of interference, sunspot activity etc.

Are dsl plants subject to localized environmental conditions? Absolutely.

I could be convinced that extremem heat could change a cables velocity factor, but that should only result in slight
changes in phase, which I guess would result in a higher BER.

Oh, and you forogot about cosmic rays :)

-Steve