nanog mailing list archives

Re: Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:15:19 -0700

Scott Howard wrote:

<snip>

So you're saying that if I put in an 8Mbps ADSL1 connection, then I'm going
to get a guaranteed 8Mbps point-to-point back to the exchange, regardless of
the quality of my phone line, or the distance from the exchange?

<snip>

(I'm not saying that the article is right, but...)

ADSL systems will retrain to a lower rate as line conditions (SNR)
change for the worse. The attentuation characteristics of a given pair
will change of time due to a number of factor, including but not
certainly limited to physical wear, moisture invasion, localized source
of interference, sunspot activity etc.

Are dsl plants subject to localized environmental conditions? Absolutely.

  Scott