nanog mailing list archives

Re: Who has AS 1712?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:43:33 -0500

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Christopher Morrow wrote:

how to detect if there are more instances?

o Should some form of 'scrape routeviews before assignment' happen at
the RIR? (if you don't like o RV, pick another 2-3 sources of data)
o How do you make sure each RIR does this act?
o Should the customer check public data sources before acceptance?
o Is there a 30 day revoke/return dance for Number Resources?

Checking "global BGP" only works if the ASN is being announced at that
instant.  That ought to be one of the due diligence steps, but so should
checking the various RIR whois servers.  Lots of ASNs have been assigned but
aren't visible in the global table.

sure, pick 2-3 ways to check was my point... I ain't writin' RIR
policy in nanog maillist traffic :) I presume also there's some '80%
check is good enough' standard that's applied along the way because I
doubt you'll ever get 100% certainty in this sort of thing, sadly.

-Chris

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
 Atlantic Net                |