nanog mailing list archives

Re: about interdomain multipath routing.

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:16:38 -0600

Matthew Petach wrote:

I've outlawed the use of multihop eBGP for load-sharing here; when we get
multiple links off the same router to a peer or upstream, they are configured
with multipath.  We've got hundreds of BGP sessions across the network
configured with multipath on them.

Same here for my connections, though some of my customers are stuck with multihop eBGP in certain remote areas, but that's a completely different scenario (single link, but obsolete equipment) and out of my control.

I much prefer multipath, especially given that the standard multihop config uses static routing and there are conditions that could cause the flap of the eBGP session during a single link outage. With Multipath, only the effected path goes down, as it should.

Jack