nanog mailing list archives

Re: Speed Testing and Throughput testing

From: Jason Biel <jason () biel-tech com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:07:49 -0600

We actually used both tests to finally narrow down the TCP window size
issue.  We first used the UDP test to make sure the link was good.

Jason

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Simon Horman <horms () verge net au> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 06:49:05AM -0600, Jason Biel wrote:
Linux always worked best for us as well, was easy running a livecd with
laptops.  We found that two windows XP machines, same identical hardware
and
OS load yielded different registry settings (or lack thereof) for TCP
Window
setting.

I would have thought that (netperf's) UDP tests were more appropriate
than TCP for testing link speed. Am I missing the point?

--
Jason Biel