nanog mailing list archives

Re: Managing your network devices via console

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:02:06 -0700

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
I've found Avocents to be a nightmare, and the company to be horrible to
deal with.

They work fine as a local console switch, but they are absurdly
expensive for that use. The rest of their features are byzantine in
implementation and usage, and their support and licensing policies
exorbitant.

Old school terminal servers and IPMI/DRAC cards work very well.

I have a PM25 that's an absolutely awesome console server. The only
thing it can't do that would make it perfect is SSH. I've never been
particularly impressed with the responsiveness of IPMI/SOL, but it's
acceptable since it's typically only used in an emergency.

~Seth