nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP Unbundling circuits

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:56:56 -0800

Colin Alston wrote:

Jay Nugent wrote:
*EVERY* ISP I have consulted for has failed to perform the simplest of Order Entry processes, including an item-by-item checklist of what to do when a customer disconnects. At each ISP we have found numerous circuits still in place and being paid for month after month.

Circuits seems worse, but they also don't seem to track their CPE at
all. We have boxes full of various teleco CPE, including some Cisco 800
and 1600 routers. I guess it costs more than it's worth to recover it,
but the irritating thing is we have to hold it "incase" they ever ask
for it.

I even have a cabinet full of patch/cross-connect gear at one site. The
teleco took some of the NTU kit from it when it was cancelled, said they
would be back for the rest and 2 years later there it stands :)

Murpheys' law says the instant I tie it to the roof of my car, they will
ask when they can come collect it...

Same here; cabinet full of telco stuff. I've showed it to several techs and they've all told me they wouldn't reuse it anyway so there's no point in taking it back.

~Seth