nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

From: kris foster <kris.foster () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 03:00:47 -0800

On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:50 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:

On Tue, January 13, 2009 8:57 pm, Joe Abley wrote:

The fact that I choose to stick 701 in an AS_PATH attribute on a
prefix I advertise in order to stop that prefix from propagating into
701 is entirely my own business, and it's a practice which, although
apparently not commonplace, has been a well-known part of the IDTE
toolbox for many years.

For whatever reason, technical, political, or pure whim, I don't want AS Y
to receive any of my announcements.

What's the correct tool to do this?

Exactly the method Randy used.

Do we need a set of well-known communities XXXXX:AS that can be recognised
everywhere as "do not announce to AS"?

Communities are optional transitive attributes. No one is required to act on well-known communities.

Kris