nanog mailing list archives

Re: Estimate of satellite vs. Land-based traffic

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:00:54 -0500

On Jan 8, 2009, at 6:29 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:

Marshall Eubanks <tme () multicasttech com> writes:

When I was working with Svalbard, Internet connectivity was through a
satellite link at about 2.5 degrees
elevation looking through a notch in the mountains.  I don't think it
has changed

It has, as Steinar says.

For those interested in the necessary elevation at 78 degrees north, I
found a nice picture of the antennas here:
http://www.mydarc.de/la0by/isfjord.jpg

There aren't any mountains in front of the the antennas. However there
is a mountain between Isfjord Radio and Longyearbyen (the main
settlement), requiring a relay station on the radio link between these.

The NyAlesund SGO

http://siempre.arcus.org/4DACTION/wi_alias_fsDrawPage/1/107

is some distance North of Longyearbyen (how many places can say that ?), and I used to have a nice picture, which alas I cannot find, of the satellite link (not the 20 meter dish in the picture) apparently pointing at the mountains.

It does indeed have fiber now, and has been used for eVLBI

http://www.haystack.mit.edu/tech/vlbi/evlbi/index.html

Regards
Marshall

Bjørn