nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 07:59:55 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Joe Abley wrote:

I see people predicting that giving everybody a /56 is insane and will blow out routing tables. I don't quite understand that; at the regional ISP with which I am most familiar 40,000 or so internal/customer routes in BGP, and I have not noticed anything fall over. This is 2008: we are not dealing with routers maxed out with 256MB of RAM. And this is without any attempt to aggregate per LNS, or per POP.

What you do is that you do /40-44 per router or so and announce this to the rest of the network, then internally from that you assign /48 to /56 per customer out of that block.

IPv6 enables us to lower address use and get less routes in the core network (both within the ISP and globally).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se