nanog mailing list archives

Re: news from Google

From: Bruce Williams <williams.bruce () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:19:38 -0800

Bill Gates has made a commitment to basically give away all of his money and
quit MS to devote full time to doing it. It will be a hard act to follow.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:03 AM, JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com> wrote:

Hank Nussbacher wrote:

Google makes about $1.5B profit per quarter.  $20M of charity?  I don't
like MS any more than most, but Gates Foundation has received $20B from Bill
and Warren over the past 3 years.  My hat goes off to those guys!

Yes, the Gates Foundation gives a lot of money to worthy causes, which is
truly admirable.
However, to put things into perspective let's take a look at the history of
these two companies.

Microsoft was founded 34 years ago (in 1975) and IPOd 23 years ago (in
1986).  Bill Gates didn't start his foundation until 12 years after the IPO.

Google was founded (incorporated) 11 years ago in 1998, IPOd 5 years ago in
2005.  Google Foundation was created as part of the IPO: "a commitment to
contribute significant resources, including 1% of Google's equity and
profits in some form, as well as employee time, to address some of the
world's most urgent problems. That commitment became a range of giving
initiatives including Google.org."

How much did Microsoft give to charity in 1991, 5 years after their IPO?
 Would you bet against a proposition that by 2028 the Google Foundation does
just as much (or more) than the Gates foundation is doing today?
jc

--

“Discovering...discovering...we will never cease discovering...
and the end of all our discovering will be