nanog mailing list archives

Re: news from Google

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:07:47 -0800

Peter Beckman wrote:

 Using a combo of Ad Blocker Plus and NoScript in Firefox helps reduce that
 significantly, without all the popups.  But yeah, it's hard to use the
 Internet and not get tracked by a bunch of different entities you know
 nothing about.

 Which gives further proof that my earlier statement rings true:

You don't get to have Privacy on the Internet. It's a fallacy. You have
    to work really hard to truly have privacy on the 'net.  And lie a lot.

I'm not naive enough to think all privacy policies reflect what a company is actually doing, but I'm surprised that people think Google protects their privacy at the same time they practically admitting they're selling your digital soul to whoever will pay for it. Hell, all you gmail users on this list right now are feeding the machine with all our data.

The part that gets me: everyone seems happy with this.

~Seth