nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arrogant RBL list maintainers

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 11:23:31 -0800

Michael Holstein wrote:

Suit yourself .. but you can't arbitrarily force the Internet as a whole
to adopt an unwritten standard just to make your lives easier. If we
encounter problems with our end-users and not being able to deliver
email reliably to one of your customers, we'll have them call you, since
we're complying with all the various SPAM prevention standards that
presently exist.

One could argue that you are *not* complying by using a generic PTR for a mail server. Some would say that a serious mail server should have proper DNS records, others will say that you should accept mail from any IP no matter what.

~Seth