nanog mailing list archives

Re: Breaking the internet (hotels, guestnet style)

From: Andrew Cox <andrew () accessplus com au>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 19:48:38 +1030

Sounds like a great idea in theory but would require OS support or a dual-hotspot setup that provided for both options until support was expected.
Until such time it's simply unworkable.

That and as mentioned in my previous post, the setup we have *just works* for users who don't have the permissions to change off of a static IP and use DHCP on their laptops.

Andrew

This really should be a DHCP option which points to the authentification
server using ip addresses.  This should be return to clients even
if they don't request it.  Web browers could have a hot-spot button that
retrieves this option then connects using the value returned.

No need to compromise the DNS or intercept http.

Mark