nanog mailing list archives

Re: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

From: Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:41:46 -0700

On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Ken A wrote:
Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com> said:
Since virtual web hosting has no technical justification for IP space, I refuse it.
SSL and FTP are techincal justifications for an IP per site.

Right. Also, monthly bandwidth monitoring/shaping/capping are more easily done using one ip per hosted domain, or ftp site, or whatever. Otherwise you are parsing logs or using 3rd party apache modules.

*Shrug* I've been doing IP allocations for 14 years and that's never been mentioned to me.

I suspect that anyone with enough traffic to need traffic shaping has dedicated hosts or virtual servers, which get a unique IP each.

--
Jo Rhett