nanog mailing list archives

Re: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

From: Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:51:11 -0700

On Apr 21, 2009, at 1:58 PM, David Hubbard wrote:
Raising the price won't help; there's already a huge amount
of wasted address space by web hosts selling IP addresses
to customers who need them solely for 'seo purposes' rather

It's a common request we see. We refuse it, and point them to the Google documentation that shows that unique IPs don't help or hurt their SEO standings.

reasons and even then they don't believe me.  If ARIN would
enforce a technically justified use of IPv4 space that does
not recognize "seo" as a valid reason, that would definitely
help

I point to the wording where it says that we need to collect the technical justification for the additional IP addresses. Since virtual web hosting has no technical justification for IP space, I refuse it.

And since the policy allows it currently, the CEO signing off
on it will also be valid.

Depends on how you read the policy.  I prefer my reading to yours ;-)

That said, if someone who likes writing these things will help me, I'll gladly create and advance a policy demanding a real, provable need for an IP beyond one per physical host.

--
Jo Rhett