nanog mailing list archives

Re: IXP

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 09:31:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Nick Hilliard wrote:

- ruthless and utterly fascist enforcement of one mac address per port, using either L2 ACLs or else mac address counting, with no exceptions for any reason, ever. This is probably the single more important stability / security enforcement mechanism for any IXP.

Well, as long as it simply drops packets and doesn't shut the port or some other "fascist" enforcement. We've had AMSIX complain that our Cisco 12k with E5 linecard was spitting out a few tens of packets per day during two months with random source mac addresses. Started suddenly, stopped suddenly. It's ok for them to drop the packets, but not shut the port in a case like that.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se