nanog mailing list archives

Re: IXP

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:53:04 -0500

Paul Vixie wrote:
if we maximize for simplicity we get a DELNI.  oops that's not fast
enough we need a switch not a hub and it has to go 10Gbit/sec/port.
looks like we traded away some simplicity in order to reach our goals.

Agreed.

Security + Efficiency = base complexity

1Q has great benefits in security while maintaining a reasonable base complexity compared to "1 mac per port/MAC acl + broadcast storm control + <insert common L2/3 security/performance tweaks commonly used in a flat multi-point topology>". Things grow more complex as you reach up into MPLS.

I'll show my ignorance and ask if it's possible to handle multicast on a separate shared tag and maintain security and simplicity while handling unicast on p2p tags?

Standard methods of multicast on the Internet are foreign to me, and tend to act differently than multicast feeds standardly used for video over IP in local segments (from what little I have read). Primarily, I believe there was a reliance of unicast routing by multicast, which separate L2 paths might break.

Jack