nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Larger packets to save power, was: Re: would ip6 help us safeing energy ?

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 12:07:13 +1200

On 6/05/2008, at 8:02 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
Of course not. Like I said, as an average end-user with 10 Mbps you
get to send a maximum of 2500 packets per second. That's plenty to do
VoIP, set up TCP sessions or do IM. You just don't get to send the
full 10 Mbps at this size.

Hmm, I see value in that.

But, good luck trying to convince customers to take a pps limitation
in addition to a Mbps limitation, whether they ever exceed that pps or
not. You /might/ convince them to take a pps limitation only - but if
they want to do 30Mbit (ie 2500pps @ 1500b) then your product needs to
support that.

Maybe you just start calling "10Mbps" "10Mbps, assuming a 500b average
packet size."

Anyway, nice idea in theory - putting more real world limitations in
to sold product limitations - but I don't see it working out with
marketing people, etc. unless someone has been doing it for years
already. It'd be good if the world were all engineers though, huh?

--
Nathan Ward