nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Installation troubles with GlobalCrossing

From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 21:05:37 -0400

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Paul Wall <pauldotwall () gmail com> wrote:
5mb limit ingressing/traversing their backbone?

Or 5mb limit to their router's control plane?

Important to differentiate between the two.  I'd call the former
totally unacceptable, and actionable per SLA 'till resolved (besides,
whoever got taken down by a multi-gigabit PING FLOOD?); the latter is

seen them.. they can be painful :( a former customer got some
large/fragmented icmp flood during a may-day event as I recall.

a concerned provider appropriately covering their base (I'd police
random ICMP to even less, say 128kb).

at 1mbps rate-limited customers complained that 'your link is dropping
packets' (when they do a rapid-ping off their edge device with 4000
byte packets... which went over the 1mbps policer). There's certainly
some limit to be used, somewhere between 128k -> 2-4mbps. Also, it
highly depends on edge platform of course :(

-Chris