nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 18:07:06 -0400

Nathan Anderson/FSR wrote:
Nevertheless, the person I have been in contact with is naturally not
the final decision-maker on this issue and is going to continue to pass
the issue on up the chain of command for me.  So although this issue is
not over and I do not have a final verdict from MS yet, I felt that,
given that I don't know how much time to expect to pass between now and
when that final verdict is rendered, it would be appropriate to let
everybody here know what I have learned thus far.  Hopefully public
dissemination of this information factoid will prevent others in a
position similar to mine from having to helplessly beat their heads into
their keyboards.

Let's also not ignore the generally overworked IT administrator at any
small or medium sized enterprise. He/she may not be (as many folks I've
run into are) of the mistaken impression that ICMP *is* bad and leaves
you vulnerable to all sorts of things like SMURF. There are even tools
out there that "test" your vulnerability by "pinging" you and do other
investigations.

I know of a tool that a major financial institution uses when certifying
your networks security -- that scrapes the version number from your
ESTMP banner to decide whether you comply or not (and other banners).
(Rather than actually testing for a specific vulnerability). Simply
blocking all of these packets from their test host gives you a high
passing score; possibly a perfect one. [Irony and humor aside...]

Many non-SP IT folks think they understand TCP, grudgingly accept UDP
for DNS from external sources and think everything else is bollocks.
Many *might* have a fit if they saw Microsoft accepting ICMPs because
that seems inconsistent with their knowledge of turn-the-knob network
security. To their view, their Linksys/Netgear/whathaveyou COTS
firewalls block everything too.

I don't think I'm exaggerating here.

Just a thought, not saying its a good one or whose fault it is...

Deepak Jain
AiNET