nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

From: Phil Regnauld <regnauld () catpipe net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:15:57 +0200

David Conrad (drc) writes:

1) The new gTLD stuff hasn't gotten as far as the point where the testing
of IDN stuff started.

        Mhh, ok :)

2) ICANN (or rather, the technical side of ICANN staff) has thought about
this and there is a 'technical evaluation' phase of the application
evaluation

        Fair enough.

3) We've already run into the 'private TLD' thing: lots of global companies
(apparently) have internal domains organized on regional/continental
boundaries. When '.asia' was put into the root, the Internet did not break.

     The other way around.  And if I ping 'dk', my resolver
     stops after "catpipe.net" and my other private domain.
     It doesn't try "dk.", even though dk. has an A record
     associated with it.  I get NXDOMAIN.

Your resolver appears to be broken.  Works for me:

        dig doesn't use the resolver the same way other applications do.

        Try "ping dk" vs "ping dk.", or "telnet dk" vs. telnet "dk."

        Of course, depends on the OS -- but at least on a few BSDs (OS X, FreeBSD),
        Linuxes (Debian, Ubuntu), it behaves the same way.