nanog mailing list archives

Re: Techniques for passive traffic capturing

From: Matt Cable <wozz () wookie net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:47:50 +0000 (UTC)

Ross Vandegrift <ross <at> kallisti.us> writes:

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 01:19:03PM +1200, Nathan Ward wrote:
I see little point in aggregating tapped traffic, unless you have only
a small amount of it and you're doing it to save cost on monitoring
network interfaces - but is that saved cost still a saving when you
factor in the cost of the extra 3750s in the middle? I'd guess no.

Thanks for all the info Nathan - lots of good leads in your email.
Let me include some more information.

The problem is finding a way to multiplex that traffic from the
optical tap to multiple things that want to peek at it.  The
remote-span trick solves that, as well as integrating media
converters.  3750 is nice since you can stack em up and mix/match the
SFP and copper ports.

http://www.gigamon.com.  Taps+MultiPlexing+Filtering+Clustering+10g.  I've been
using them very successfully for exactly what you describe for the last 2 years.
 If they are a bit too pricey, look at http://www.vssmonitoring.com.  Similar
capabilities to Gigamon, slightly less flexibility (fixed hardware
configurations vs Gigamon's modular configuration) and possibly cheaper
depending on your needs.