nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 source routing options and IPv6 Type 0 Routing Header

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:43:46 -0400

Quite a few times it has been mentioned to me that some peering agreements require support for the IPv4 source routing options. I was wondering whether this is still the case for some ISPs, or it is not the case anymore.

Before we decommissioned our last open peering fabric, source-routing was important to make sure your peer wasn't pointing default (or similar) to you. With the advent of private (and far more limited) bilateral peering as a preference to fabric based peering (at least among the ones who set peering policies globally) this has become
less of an issue.

RFC 5095 aside.

Deepak