nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mail Server best practices - was: Pandora's Box of new TLDs

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:04:31 -0400

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 07:55:07AM -0700, Roger Marquis wrote:
Backscatter / NDNs are another issue.  In practice they are no longer
feasible without assurance that the sender is both valid and legitimate.
Bounces without these validations are usually spam and will get your server
blacklisted.

A fine point that I don't see mentioned much is that REJECT-ON-SMTP-DATA
has the nice side effect that if it's real mail, the *sender's* MTA will
generate their bounce for them, and if it's a spammer, they'll ignore
it.

So you get the best of both worlds, which seems an excellent reason to
go through the effort of setting it up that way.

Cheers,
- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra () baylink com

             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
               -- (Joseph Stalin)