nanog mailing list archives

RE: TLDs and file extensions (Re: DNS and potential energy)

From: <michael.dillon () bt com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:30:51 +0100

People keep making the assertion that top-level domains that
have the same strings as popular file extensions will be a
'security disaster', but I've yet to see an explanation of
the potential exploits.  I could maybe see a problem with
".LOCAL" due to mdns or llmnr or ".1" due to the risk of
someone registering "127.0.0.1", but I've yet to see any
significant risk increase if (say) the .EXE TLD were created.
 Can someone explain (this is a serious question)?

Many years ago there was a wonderful web browser named Lynx.
It could do all kinds of nifty things and you could build an
entire information systems interface with it, including things
like a menu that allowed you to select an executable program
that would be run on the same remote system that was running
Lynx.

People who lived through this era have a vague memory that
executables and URLs are in sort of the same namespace. Of course
that's not true because executable files are referred to as
lynxexec:script.pl instead of http://script.pl

Seeing as a certain popular operating system confounds local file
access via Explorer with internet access...

I gather you're implying MS Windows does this?

Not mine.

--Michael Dillon