nanog mailing list archives

Re: Net Mgmt Tools and supporting OS

From: "vitto malitani" <vmalitani () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:05:52 -0500

Thanks to all who replied.  Due to ease of deployment I will probably go
with the Cent)S based server and tools and modify things as I need it
afterwards.

Best of luck,

Vitto,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Claudia de Luna <cldeluna () yahoo com> wrote:

Vito,

I"m currently consulting to the state of California corrections department
on their wan and this question continually comes up.

My recommendation is to get started with CactiEZ as you SNMP management
tool.  CactiEZ is a CentOS based Cacti server that essentially loads
everything you need to get up and running.  If you already have an
authoratative and complete list of all your network infrastructure equipment
it is then a simple matter of adding the devices to the server.
Out of the box you get your syslog server (essential) with some basic
search capabilities, your monitoring for bandwidth utilization, errors,
latency (ping based) and router CPU.

You can grow from there with notification (it's pretty basic but better
than nothing), availability reports, and even a weather map.

As someone else already said, use the OS you are most comfortable with.
Running monitoring on a network is a full time job in and of itself so don't
complicate things!

Tools like OpenNMS and Nagios are a little more complex.  The CactiEZ CD is
pretty much turnkey and gives you most, if not all, the tools to get you up
and running. From there you can see what needs it does not meet and grow
from there.

Claudia

This link lists the "plug ins" available out of the box but there are
others as Cacti has a very good plug in architecture.
http://cactiusers.org/wiki/Homepage

Example WeatherMap