nanog mailing list archives

RE: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 20:36:09 -0700

ACLs

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Templin [mailto:petelists () templin org]
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:57 PM
To: Tomas L. Byrnes
Cc: NANOG list
Subject: Re: Is it time to abandon bogon prefix filters?

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
Since there are ways to dynamically filter the bogons, using BGP or
DNS, I don't really see the need to stop doing so. If
you're managing
your routing and firewall filters manually, you have bigger
problems
than the release of Bogon space.

Can you share the Cisco configuration snippet you recommend
to dynamically FILTER bogons using BGP or DNS?  Not just
inserting null-routes for the bogon aggregates, but
preventing the acceptance of more-specifics that
transits/peers/customers have managed to sneak past someone's
filters (or lack thereof), please.

(Without an offline configuration generator, I postulate that
it can't be done.)

pt