nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:57:41 -0700

On 18-Apr-08, at 1:45 PM, David Coulson wrote:

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
I think that is based off the all American TV going to HDD that is
supposed to happen in 2009. ( I think I read that currently only 40%
of Americans have HDD TV's and the 60% were not going to buy one
until
it became too late. )
This is not accurate. In 2009 the US is terminating analog (NTSC)
transmission of 'over the air' broadcasts. It has nothing to do with
'high definition' broadcasts. OTA broadcasts will just be done using
ATSC, rather than NTSC. It will continue to provide SD programming.

Bet you a beer it won't happen. :)

Just like the mandated HD broadcasts in top markets by 1997 or else
they lose license.

cheers,
--dr