nanog mailing list archives

Re: 240/4

From: Vince Fuller <vaf () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:51:46 -0700

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:00:42PM +0100, michael.dillon () bt com wrote:

why on earth would you want to go and hack this stuff together,
knowing that it WILL NEVER WORK

Because I have read reports from people whose technical expertise I
trust. They modified the TCP/IP code of Linux and FreeBSD and were able
to freely use 240/4 address space to communicate between machines. This
means that IT WILL WORK.

The reports stated that the code patch was simple because it involved
simply removing a line of code that disallowed 240/4 addresses.

Actually, to do the job right, you have to change a handful of conditionals
in about five different files in the Linxux kernel: in.h (really just
cleanup to remove unused macros), devinet.c, fib_frontend.c, ipconfig.c,
and route.c.

Attached are the diffs for a 2.6 kernel (implemented and tested on an Ubuntu
7.04 system) and for a 2.4 kernel (implemented and tested on a Linksys
WRT45GL running OpenWRT whiterussian 0.9).

As mentioned in an earlier message, Mac OSX, at least the version that came
with a Powerbook G4 that I have, will accept a 240/4 address without any
modifications - I used it to test the Linux patches. There does appear to be
a one line change needed to FreeBSD and/or OSX for it to act as a router.

Have fun.

        --Vince