nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

From: "Brandon Galbraith" <brandon.galbraith () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:32:37 -0500

On 10/12/07, Tony Finch <dot () dotat at> wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

If it's multicast TV I don't see the problem, it doesn't increase your
backbone traffic linearly with the number of people doing it.

However if you have UK-style ADSL ppp backhaul then multicast doesn't
help.

Tony.

Not to drag this too far off topic, but have serious studies been done
looking at moving switching fabric closer to the DSLAMs (versus doing
everything PPPoE)? I know this sort of goes opposite of how ILECs are setup
to dish out DSL, but as more traffic is being pushed user to user, it may
make economic/technical sense.

-brandon