nanog mailing list archives

Re: UK ISPs v. US ISPs (was RE: Network Level Content Blocking)

From: Mark Smith <nanog () fa1c52f96c54f7450e1ffb215f29991e nosense org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:31:27 +0930

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:38:20 -0400
Keegan.Holley () sungard com wrote:

IMHO, unless it's something blatantly illegal such as kiddie porn and the
like I don't think content filtering is the responsibility of the ISP's.
Besides all of the conspiracy theories that are bound to surface, I think
forcing ISP's to block content is a bit like forcing car makers to police
what can be played on the radio.  I think that giving parents the option
of manually turning off porn sites would be an improvement.  Although
still not within the responsibility of the ISP they are in the best place
to implement such a technology.  However, I don't like the idea of a
mandatory global traffic filtering initiative.

I think in the home is the best place to implement the technology - a
power switch or BIOS password.

Here is a true analogy. My father worked for a TV station, so you'd
think we'd have the TV on all the time, yet right through up until
after I left high school, my parents wanted to limit my TV watching ...
significantly.

How did they do it ?

(a) they didn't buy a TV set and put it in my bedroom - the TV was in a
common area of the house i.e. the lounge and/or dining room

(b) they didn't allow me to watch the TV unsupervised

So what I don't understand is why parents put computers in their
childrens' bedrooms and don't supervise their children's Internet use.

Substituting a piece of filting software that won't ever do as good a
job as a parent in enforcing parental responsibility is just bad
parenting in my opinion, and not the responsiblity of government or
ISPs.

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."