nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Level Content Blocking (UK) for people who cant be bothered to read the article..

From: alex () pilosoft com
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Donald Stahl wrote:

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

-Judge Louis Brandeis
<snip>

I am not willing to give up any of my own liberties to protect children.
We already have laws that do that and judging by the number of people
arrested they seem to work. You reach a point of diminishing returns.
Hello,

Before *this* thread spins out of control, I would like to draw your
attention to NANOG-L AUP, available at http://www.nanog.org/aup.html ,
particularly #6: Postings of political, philosophical, and legal nature
are discouraged.

In other words, it is on-topic to discuss operational effect of filtering
- what the original post started with. It is on-topic to discuss how to
filter and comply with government or corporate mandates to filter. It is
on-topic to discuss existing logging/filtering solutions and their
operational impact.

It is "not so much" on topic to discuss legalities of filtering, but I
think most agree that it still belongs here.

It is clearly off-topic to discuss lists of british colonies, or civil
liberties or protection of children - there are better forums to do this.

Please follow any replies to this message to nanog-futures () nanog org

-alex (acting mlc chair)