nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do we use facilities with EPO's?

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:10:11 -0700

Leo Bicknell wrote:
I was complaining to some of the power designers during the building
of a major facility that the EPO button represented a single point
of failure, and effectively made all of the redundancy built into
the power system useless.  After all, what's the point of having
two (or more) of anything, if there's one button somewhere that
turns it all off?

If the EPO cuts power to the whole facility, it didn't fail, it worked perfectly. The failure is actually Slappy the EPO button-pusher.

~Seth