nanog mailing list archives

Re: TCP congestion

From: Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox () packetrade com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:14:42 +0100

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 10:54:56PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 12-jul-2007, at 22:27, Philip Lavine wrote:

I just don't understand how if there is 1 segment that gets lost
how this could translate to such a catastrophic long period of slow-
start. How can I minimize the impact of  the inevitable segment
loss/out of order over a WAN. Is QoS the only option?

Also note that minimal amounts of cell loss on ATM create huge
amounts of packet loss at the IP layer.

from the phrases used ('catastrophic') my feeling is that perhaps Philip isnt understanding that on a high speed TCP
transfer a single missing bit of data can cause the whole thing to stop and restart transmission from slow

Steve