nanog mailing list archives

Re: CDN & ISP (was: Re: Google wants to be your Internet)

From: Mark Smith <nanog () fa1c52f96c54f7450e1ffb215f29991e nosense org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 06:59:49 +1030

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 04:15:44 -0600 (CST)
Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Michal Krsek wrote:

For broad-band ISPs, whose main goal is not to sell or re-sell transit
though...

a) caching systems are not easy to implement and maintain (another system
for configuration)
b) possible conflict with content owners
c) they want to sell as much as possible of bandwidth
d) they want to have their network fully transparent

Only a, b apply. d I am not sure I understand.

I think (d) is all network testing tools showing a perfect path, which
sould isolate the fault to the remote web server itself, yet the
website not working because the translucent proxy has a fault.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."