nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

From: Joe Abley <jabley () ca afilias info>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:47:12 -0500

On 9-Jan-2007, at 11:29, Gian Constantine wrote:

Those numbers are reasonably accurate for some networks at certain times. There is often a back and forth between BitTorrent and NNTP traffic. Many ISPs regulate BitTorrent traffic for this very reason. Massive increases in this type of traffic would not be looked upon favorably.

The act of regulating p2p traffic is a bit like playing whack-a-mole. At what point does it cost more to play that game than it costs to build out to carry the traffic?

If you considered my previous posts, you would know I agree streaming is scary on a large scale, but unicast streaming is what I reference. Multicast streaming is the real solution. Ultimately, a global multicast network is the only way to deliver these services to a large market.

The trouble with IP multicast is that it doesn't exist, in a wide- scale, deployed, inter-provider sense.

Joe