nanog mailing list archives

Re: Does anyone multihome anymore?

From: Mike Tancsa <mike () sentex net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:25:04 -0400

At 10:11 AM 8/22/2007, Paul Kelly :: Blacknight Solutions wrote:
Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 03:49 AM 8/22/2007, Security Admin (NetSec) wrote:
>
>> Pardon my forwardness, but don't people just multi-home these days?
>> If your
>
> Multihoming is great for when there is a total outage.  In the case of
> Cogent on Monday, it wasnt "down"... In this case, there is only so much
> you can do to influence how packets come back at you as BGP doesnt know
> anything about a "lossy" or slow connections.
>
>         ---Mike

Take the carrier that is causing you issues out of your eBGP setup and
all's well....

Hi,
In my case, I have 6453 and 174 for transit. I want to get to 577 which is directly connected to 6453 and 174. 577 has a higher local pref on paths via 174. Short of shutting my 174 session (or some deaggregation), I dont have a way to influence how 577 gets back to me. I can easily exit out 6453, but it does nothing for the return packets. I have enough capacity on 6453 to handle all my traffic, but its a Draconian step to take and some traffic via 174 is fine and would be worse if I fully shut the session. (ie. peers of 174 in Toronto)

---Mike