nanog mailing list archives

Re: Interesting new spam technique - getting a lot more popular.

From: Adam Rothschild <asr+nanog () latency net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:42:58 -0400

On 2006-06-14-00:23:15, "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com> wrote:
[...]
I assume that dedicated hosting folks don't just drop machines
behind a switch on one big flat subnet? That's probably a naive
assumption though

I've long been a proponent of a per-customer VLAN or L3 interface,
depending on what the topology allows for, but I'm afraid we're in the
minority.

From what I've seen, the overwhelming majority of "dedicated hosters"
do precisely what the article alludes to -- placing hundreds (if not
thousands!) of disparate hosts on the same broadcast domain, with no
safeguards in place to prevent ARP spoofing, IP hijacking, and other
forms of malfeasance...

-a