nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo, Google, Microsoft contact?

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:47:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Per Heldal wrote:

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:39:59 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu said:
On the other hand, he *does* have a valid point.  Why *do* we keep seeing
queries for the same networks?

Because no-one has the balls to punish them in a way that really hurt
their bottom line. It's mostly about companies where ops are not allowed
to work on problems not related to paying customers. I bet their
bean-counters would create accounts for misc-problems in record time if
the top 10 transit networks would null-route their AS'es for a while.

uhm, where's the incentive in that for a 'tier-1' provider? most of the
folks mentioned are customers or peers, so there exists a contact path
already...