nanog mailing list archives

Re: 209.68.1.140 (209.68.1.0 /24) blocked by bellsouth.net for SMTP

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:50:13 +0530

On 20/09/05, Alan Spicer <a_spicer () bellsouth net> wrote:
* In addition, Pair networks says the following:In our experiences, most
blocks occur from users forwarding their domain email to an outside address
such as Bellsouth.  Since a customer forwards all mail, legitimate and spam,
the ISP will see the spam deliveries and block the offending IP, our server.

They really ought to filter inbound email more then. And/or
(preferably and) route .forward traffic out through a separate IP.
What the pair guy describes has bitten us too - and we've been
figuring out various ways to keep a tight lid on it, but isolating
.forward traffic is the first step.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists () gmail com)