nanog mailing list archives

Re: image stream routers

From: tony sarendal <dualcyclone () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:33:04 +0100

... until you get an inbound ddos over that shiny gige at 1.44 Mpps. in
today's world, planning for normal circumstances is woefully insufficient,
you have to spec based on worst case numbers because you're almost
guaranteed they will hit your network upside the head in the future.

If I have a GE link and get DDOS'ed at 1.44Mpps I'm on the wrong side
of the bottleneck to do much about it, am I not ?

I don't disagree on that forwarding equipment should be able to handle
worst case situations, but I have never worked on a packet switching
network where that is the case, especially not when counting peers and
transits.