nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Pr-plan] Public-Root resolution problems and UNIDT (fwd)

From: Roy Arends <roy () dnss ec>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:13:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Peter Dambier wrote:

Statement of the Official Public-Root Representative

Public-Root resolution problems

I in my capacity as the Official Public-Root Representative and
whistle-blower, asked Peter Dambier to publish to NANOG a notice that the
Public-Root had fractured. Namely, the root in Ankara operated by Celep
Bahadir who is also the UNIDT (www.unidt.com) representative to Turkey and
the Middle East.

There was an attempt by UNIDT to start a new root system called the
United-Root. Attempts by Ankara to test this root on l.public-root.net at
195.214.191.125 resulted in a fracturing of the public-root network.

The Ankara root injected a number of older records into the DNS resulting
in false answers to queries. Ankara was also listing as root servers some
DNS that pointed back to ICANN data and did not resolve the Public-Root.
This was very unprofessional behavior on behalf of UNIDT resulting in a
serious violation of their contractual obligations to the Public-Root.