nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Pr-plan] Public-Root resolution problems and UNIDT (fwd)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:54:44 -0400

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:57:47 +0200, Peter Dambier said:

http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/2005-09-29%20Memo%20to%20the%20Internet%
20Community.pdf

There was an attempt by UNIDT to start a new root system called the
United-Root. Attempts by Ankara to test this root on l.public-root.net at
195.214.191.125 resulted in a fracturing of the public-root network.

The Ankara root injected a number of older records into the DNS resulting
in false answers to queries. Ankara was also listing as root servers some
DNS that pointed back to ICANN data and did not resolve the Public-Root.
This was very unprofessional behavior on behalf of UNIDT resulting in a
serious violation of their contractual obligations to the Public-Root.

I'm not sure whether to say "We told you so" or just "RFC2826".